Margarita Moments

Whether enjoyed by the pitcher with girlfriends, sipped solitary by the pool, or savored with that special someone over a romantic dinner, no adult beverage says fun and relaxation quite like a margarita. Frozen or on the rocks, salty rim or not, the margarita is a versatile drink.

My favorite is the blue margarita. To me, a huge part of this version’s appeal is its visual connection to tropical waters along with its smoothly sweet zippiness.

About four years ago, I drank my first blue margarita at a Jimmy Buffett’s Margaritaville. This turned out to be the perfect beginning to a memorable evening as my husband and I danced, gambled, and laughed our way along the Vegas Strip.

My most recent blue margarita celebration happened poolside at our family’s favorite Orlando resort. Eating a casual dinner and entertained by exotic hula dancers as the sun set over the palm-treed horizon,  I sipped a refreshing frozen blue. It may have been light on the alcohol, but it hit the VACATION button just fine.

Frozen Blue Margarita

You can create traditions using a signature drink, too. My husband and I kick off our annual Key West getaways at the famous Hog’s Breath Saloon with a Hogarita. But be warned, ladies. The Hogarita is not your garden-variety resort cocktail, and pretty soon we’re relaxed, smiling, and strolling Duval Street hand-in-hand like a newlywed couple before we realize what hit us.

Summer get-togethers with girlfriends garner an added air of sophistication when accompanied by fruity concoctions–virgin or otherwise. The sound of a whirring blender can signal the start of an afternoon filled with conversation and laughter.

About these ads

1. Christine Ashworth
    May 30, 2011 @ 14:01:07

I only do margaritas now when I’m on a cruise ship. Don’t know why! I guess I prefer wine at this point in my life.

Fun blog!

May 30, 2011 @ 17:29:58

I tend to drink red wine, especially Malbec and Pinot noir for dinner. Margaritas are more of a special occasion drink for me, too. Love those cruise ship drinks, like you!!

2. Rhonda Hopkins
    May 30, 2011 @ 15:13:02

Margaritas are my favorite! I’m definitely going to have to try this one. I love your log line and can’t wait for more escape blogs!

3. Dawn Berkoski
    May 30, 2011 @ 16:06:58

Great post!

Cheers!

4. Donna Coe-Velleman
    May 30, 2011 @ 17:19:48

Believe it or not Lisa, I’ve never had a margarita. But I’m willin’ to try it. :) Thanks for the receipe!

5. Joelene Coleman
    May 30, 2011 @ 19:58:05

Great blog and a perfect topic for your debut. Love your pictures, and thanks ever so much for the recipe. Keep up the good work!

6. Marilyn Levinson
    May 31, 2011 @ 10:06:45

Mmmm, sounds yummy. Too bad we can’t all get together for some margaritas.

7. Liz Jakes
    Jun 03, 2011 @ 07:14:14

Great post, Jolyse! I go through phases with summer drinks, and I confess, that jug-o-margarita-juice you get at Costco has been my ‘recipe’ of choice. Maybe I’ll branch out this summer, though…cheers!

Jun 03, 2011 @ 18:06:12

I’ve never tried the Costco one, although I recently tried a “Tastefully Simple” Pomegranate Blueberry Margarita mix It was pretty yummy, but I still like those blue margaritas best. Enjoy!!

8. Jolyse Barnett
    Jun 19, 2011 @ 12:49:40

Thanks! My blog, which focuses on escaping the ordinary, will often feature Key West–for obvious reasons! I enjoy reading your insights and journey as well. Cheers!!

9. Jolyse Barnett
    Jun 19, 2011 @ 12:50:28

No worries. :)

10. Jolyse Barnett
    Jun 19, 2011 @ 12:51:27

No worries! :)

11. Jolyse Barnett
    Jun 19, 2011 @ 12:55:27

We love KW! We like how we can be as lazy as we like or energetic and adventurous, depending on our mood. Barb at the Jewelry Bar has unique jewelry at all price ranges. I love that store! Thanks for mentioning my blog to your wife: It’s all about escaping the ordinary, even for a short while. I will feature Key West often–for obvious reasons. I look forward to reading your insights and following your journey as well. Cheers!

12. Trackback: Unofficial Start to Summer « JOLYSE BARNETT'S Margarita Moments & Other Escapes