Morton’s Toe and Malbec??

Please excuse this interruption to your regularly scheduled programming Moment, which will be posted Thursday, June 7th. In the meantime, we hope you enjoy this special broadcast award announcement.

I recently discovered R. M. Wilburn, author of the Buggy Crenshaw Adventures, a Young Adult series titled In Search of the Nexus.  I was drawn to this author’s wit and fantastical illustrations, a self-described “scrimboodler extraordinaire.” The children in my life adore stories such as Wilburn’s, as do I. See this author’s work here!

Imagine my delight when a writer I admire honored me with The Versatile Blogger Award–a perfect way to kick off Margarita Moments’ second year!

With this honor comes responsibility. I met the first and second by thanking my wonderfully talented nominating blogger and linking back to Wilburn’s blog for all to enjoy.

As for the third, I have to share seven facts about myself. Hmm. That’s challenging. I find it far easier to answer questions, like when I was tagged by Jan Romes. (Speaking of my writer pal, her new light-hearted romantic suspense, Stay Close, Novac! is FREE on Amazon through Friday, June 8th. Order it here if interested.)

After much thought, here are some silly-to-serious facts about me that most people outside of my family wouldn’t know and likely could live without, but what the heck, it’s part of the award rules:

• I possess Morton’s Toe. No, this isn’t anything gross, unless you think a person whose second toe is longer than her big toe should cover those piggies. Also called Celtic toe, it’s a hereditary trait like having dimples or a widow’s peak hairline.
  • Broccoli is my favorite veggie. I could eat it steamed every day and be quite content.

Wine party?

• After many devoted years to Pindar Winter White, a great local wine vintnered here on Long Island, I converted to red wines. My current favorites are Argentinian Malbecs. Love for wine and wineries made research for my Sapphire Falls trilogy a pleasure.
  • Like many authors, I write in more than one genre. I enjoy creating giggle poetry (yet to be published) which satisfies my desire to spout immature potty humor. I’ve also recently outlined a women’s fiction/psychological thriller I can’t wait to write after I finish my current works-in-progress.
  • I love when my husband whispers to me. Enough said?
  • My favorite story is Henry James’ novella, “Beast in the Jungle.” I highly recommend it as a rainy day read. Then tell me if it changed your outlook on life like it did mine.
  • I participated in Girl Scouts from Brownies to Senior Scouts and earned the Gold Award. I credit scouting, and my Junior Scout leader in particular, with helping me believe in myself and my abilities. Amazing how one person can make such a difference in a child’s life.

My fourth and final responsibility as an award recipient is to pay it forward. Nominations will be announced Thursday when I post your Margarita Moment.

Until then…

Please share a silly or serious fact about you! If that doesn’t appeal to you, perhaps suggest a Margarita Moment topic you’re dying to read. After all, this blog is for you.

Please tune in Thursday to learn who won the “surprise” first blogiversary prize for commenting on any of May’s Margarita Moment posts. See you then!

About these ads

1. Rhonda Hopkins
    Jun 05, 2012 @ 10:41:29

OMG! I have Morton’s Toe. I had no idea there was a name for it. LOL See, you’re entertaining as well as educational, Jolyse. I loved learning a little more about you. Congratulations on the well deserved award!

Jun 05, 2012 @ 18:40:10

I didn’t know the name for for my long second toes before writing this post, either. Based on the comments here, I feel in great company. Thanks for stopping by, Rhonda!

2. Patricia Yager Delagrange
    Jun 05, 2012 @ 10:49:02

I’ll want to read your women’s fiction novel when you get it published…. and “giggle poetry” – sounds interesting. One silly fact? I could live off eating quesadillas every night of the week. I adore broccoli.
    Patti

Jun 05, 2012 @ 18:44:29

Hi Patti! Well, I better get busy then, huh. I’m doing final revisions on the last book and writing drafts of at least two more before I give in to that story. I’ll be proud to have you read it.

I’m hungry for broccoli now. LOL

3. lynnerose
    Jun 05, 2012 @ 11:46:27

I didn’t know that kind of toe (which I also have) had a name! Who was Morton? Did he have the toe or did he just give them a name? And I find it uncanny that someone else I know has discovered Argentinian Malbec and could practically survive on steamed broccoli. Me too. Thank you for the heads up about Henry James — I am always looking for reading that enlightens. Congratulations on your award!

Jun 05, 2012 @ 19:01:18

Here’s your answer, Lynne. The name Morton’s Toe derives from American orthopedic surgeon Dudley Joy Morton (1884–1960),[2] who originally described it as part of Morton’s triad (a.k.a. Morton’s syndrome or Morton’s foot syndrome[1]): a congenital short first metatarsal bone, a hypermobile first metatarsal segment, and calluses under the second and third metatarsals.

I even enjoy sipping a Malbec with my grilled chicken and steamed broccoli dinner. :)

You can access free downloads of his work, including Beast in the Jungle. I hope you like it.

4. Catie Rhodes
    Jun 05, 2012 @ 16:33:25

I have Morton’s toe, too. Something funny about me is that I dislike mayonnaise or miracle whip. I think it looks gross and tastes gross. Something serious…I have both a GED and a college degree. LOL Fun post. :D

Jun 05, 2012 @ 18:49:00

Do you substitute another condiment for the mayo? I’m curious, as my daughter abhors mayo, too. She mixes chicken or tuna salad with balsamic vinegar instead. Kudos on your scholarly achievements, girl! :)

• Catie Rhodes
        Jun 05, 2012 @ 20:03:21

Unfortunately, I don’t have a real sub for the mayo. For years and years, I just wouldn’t eat tuna or chicken salad. And, now, I probably don’t eat it more than once a year.

If the sandwich is something that won’t taste good with either horseradish or some variety of mustard, I usually won’t eat it.

Picky Picky Catie is what you can call me. LOL

Jun 05, 2012 @ 21:29:20

Horseradish is a great twist on mayo. Believe me, you’re not picky compared to some. I know a little guy who refuses to eat most anything except a certain brand of hot dogs and peanut butter on Ritz crackers. Now, that’s picky. :)

5. Tuere Morton
    Jun 06, 2012 @ 01:12:49

Congrats on the award Jolyse!! Hmm, I have to try Malbec’s. I’m pretty picky about my wines. Incidentally, I am a fan of Pindar’s Winter Wine. And “I” have Morton’s Toe too!! lol! So funny that it would come up, and I was just explaining it to my daughter the other day. I love that it’s other name is Celtic Toe. And ironically, my last name is Morton…bizarre! I’d heard it was a Native-American trait. Go figure :P

Jun 06, 2012 @ 18:17:57

Interesting how many artistic types have Morton’s Toe, isn’t it? I wonder if there’s a correlation or if it’s just a far more common trait than I suspected. My research didn’t delve far enough to learn whether the trait is associated with some ethnicities more than others.

BTW, I tend to keep a bottle of Winter White chilled for company. You’ll have to stop by sometime and we’ll each enjoy a glass of wine together. :)

6. Marcia
    Jun 06, 2012 @ 22:39:31

Thanks for the book recommendation! I’ll have to get it! Congrats on your well-deserved award! Love knowing more little facts about you. As for me, I love when my hubs winks at me and my love of fresh veggies rivals my addiction to chocolate.
    I don’t have Morton’s Toe. I’ve been trying to find a red wine I could enjoy. I’m not a dry wine drinker–has to be semi-sweet. What is the Argentinian Malbec like?

Jun 07, 2012 @ 19:45:03

Malbec is a deeper, fuller-bodied red wine. Not sweet so much as spicy rich. I’d recommend you start with late harvest red wines. They tend to be sweeter. Examples of these include Red Zinfandel. Cabernet Franc, and Syrah.

Perhaps I should blog about wines now and then, although I’m far from a connoisseur. :)

• Marcia
        Jun 07, 2012 @ 20:39:25

I think you should! I do like some Merlots. I love white Zin but haven’t tried the red. Syrah! That’s the one I think I’ll try next! Thanks, Jolyse!