Summer’s End

Summer of 2012 unofficially ended a week ago. What do you have to show for it? I’ll share my memories with the hope of inspiring you to reflect on yours.

The Highlights

Christmas in July?

My family kicked off the season with a trip to visit Mickey in Disney and Harry Potter at Universal. We almost floated away courtesy of Tropical Storm Debby, but we bonded over the discomfort of soggy feet and broken umbrellas. In fact, one of our favorite photos happens to be us posing in EPCOT–wet hair, slickers, and all.

This was a summer of parties with friends and dinner barbeques. We ate outside almost every possible moment as a family, enjoying our new patio and furniture by the pool. The investment in backyard improvements was well worth it.

The season’s project

My midsummer dream turned into reality with a romantic getaway to the Conch Republic for Hemingway Days. I proved to myself I could complete a 5K, survived a harrowing jet skiing experience, and watched my first Papa Look-Alike contest. My sweetheart and I treasured quiet moments together, biking Old Town, and people-watching on Duval.

I learned the joy and serenity of a morning spent kayaking on a local lake one beautiful August morning. Later that month, we cruised on the high seas to Bermuda with a family group of fourteen strong.

A Summer Treat

Labor Day weekend found us back in the Adirondacks for a family barbeque, a chance to sit around a campfire with my dad, siblings and kin one more time.

What memories do you treasure from the summer of 2012?

Dog Days

If it flew past you before you got a chance to do all those things you’d hoped, what can you do now to enjoy the beauty of Fall around the corner?

Perhaps make an Autumn Wish List. I’d love to hear about your plans for the season ahead.

About these ads

1. Patricia Yager Delagrange
    Sep 11, 2012 @ 10:07:19

I’ve always wanted to take a vacation on the beach and that’s what we finally did this past summer. We rented a house on the ocean in Carpinteria, south of Santa Barbara, California, and I swam in the ocean for the first time since I was 16-years-old! It was fun. I sat on a surf board with my 13-year-old daughter and had a blast!

• Gwen Hernandez
      Sep 11, 2012 @ 10:35:25

That’s such a nice area, Patricia! Last time I lived in CA, we were just about an hour north of Santa Barbara. I miss it!

Sep 11, 2012 @ 20:48:10

What a wonderful summer memory for you and your family, Patti. Someday I’m going to make it out west to visit the sites in CA. Thanks for sharing, and enjoy autumn. :)

2. Gwen Hernandez
    Sep 11, 2012 @ 10:34:42

What nice memories, Jolyse! After all the travel we did last year, we were total homebodies this year. More due to my husband’s work schedule than a lack of desire. I had fun in Anaheim, and took an extra day to hang out in Santa Monica so I could get my ocean fix.

This year it’s been about small moments. Dinner out at a new restaurant that all four of us loved, our first major league baseball game as a family, and a visit from my dad and his wife.

I’m definitely looking forward to the cooler days and nights of fall. Fall and spring are my favorite seasons, so I plan to enjoy this one as much as possible. =)

Sep 11, 2012 @ 20:53:15

I have a hunch next summer will be more like yours, after this whirlwind of a season chock full of travel. The little moments are what life is all about. We celebrated my birthday last weekend, taking our son out to my favorite local Italian restaurant. He felt so grownup and I was so proud of his behavior. A perfect birthday. I’m excited for your favorite season ahead. :)

3. Jan Romes
    Sep 11, 2012 @ 11:22:01

Sounds like you have summer memories you will always treasure, Jolyse! :-)) Love the picture of your new backyard!! Our summer was low-key. We bought a camper and situated it at a campground located on Grand Lake St. Mary’s. Hubby’s siblings also camped there so we got to laugh and catch-up with them a lot of weekends. Even though the campground is fifty minutes from our home, it was far enough away to forget about the things that constantly beckon when you’re home (laundry, housework, etc.) It was a great summer and I’m looking forward to a great autumn. Hope yours is awesome too!!

Sep 11, 2012 @ 20:59:52

Hi Jan! Thanks for stopping by Yes, it was a great summer with many special moments. I accomplished writing goals, too, but look forward to the cooler seasons where I’ll be even more inclined to sit in the chair and focus on my characters. I am also happy to have added more life experiences to use in my stories. :) Camping is so much fun with friends and family. I’m glad you had the opportunity to kick back and relax with loved ones. Good for you!

4. Marcia
    Sep 11, 2012 @ 12:37:36

My summer went by fast while spinning my wheels at the computer. I did have a great few days when my daughter and granddaughters visited and then spent a fun weekend visiting my step-daughter and her family for birthdays and a baseball game. Hubs work in the yard all summer-I helped a little. Mostly I worked on the book, website and marketing ideas. This Fall, starting tomorrow, I’m writing exclusively on the book (no internet except one day) for the next 6 weeks to get it done. Then the holidays begin. Not much time for fun activities the rest of this year with the exception of seeing family at Christmas. But this is my “paying my dues” time. 1/1/2013 will mark the dawn of “professional” me with scheduled work time and lots of time for play. Glad you had such a lovely summer! Great memories!

Sep 11, 2012 @ 21:02:51

What exciting plans for your writing career, Marcia. I’m cheering for you, and understand what you’re saying about internet. I’ve had to scale back a lot lately to meet my personal deadlines, too. You go, girl!

5. jeff armstrong
    Sep 12, 2012 @ 20:37:45

Maybe the best summer ever. Family Florida vacation, also had a visit from Tropical Storm Debbie while there. Spent countless hours swimming, sitting around a fire pit, laughing and creating memories. Every Friday night dinner we are all required to come to the table with a memory for the week. We record them and look back and laugh at them all the time. So blessed by my family this summer.

6. Tuere Morton
    Sep 12, 2012 @ 21:29:09

Hmm, this summer I’ll treasure the times I stepped out with my family and either went to the pool or restaurant, etc. We didn’t do as much as we usually do but we were with each other and those moments are always priceless. I’m looking forward to the holidays :)