May 31st is Jolyse Barnett’s Margarita Moments Blogiversary. In appreciation of YOU, my readers, I’m giving away prizes to random commenters** each week this month. (To learn if you won for commenting last week, scroll to the bottom of this post.) So, if you haven’t yet left a comment, now’s the time to dip your toes into the blog waters. Your email isn’t made public and you can use a nickname for privacy. Winners from today’s post will be announced Monday, May 28th. Be sure to also stop by on Wednesday, May 31st for an extra-special Margarita Moment and giveaway. Enjoy, and good luck!
The lawn is mown, the pool open, and the grill fired up. It’s time for a backyard barbeque to celebrate the return of outdoor living. If you like the blue margarita, these light cocktails may hit the sweet spot :
Malibu Twisted Pink – 1 part Malibu, 1 part cranberry juice, 1 part fresh grapefruit juice. Pour all ingredients over cubed ice into glass. Stir to mix and chill. Garnish with a twist and wedge of grapefruit.
Raspberry Martini – 2 oz. raspberry vodka, 1/2 DeKuyper Razzmatazz liquer, 1 oz. Sprite soda. Pour ingredients into a cocktail shaker. Shake well, strain into cocktail/martini glass, and serve.
Grilled burgers, sausage, chicken, and steak are tasty, but seafood is quick and delicious, too. Here’s a 30-minute grilled shrimp recipe, courtesy of www.grilling.com:
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 8 bamboo or metal skewers
- 1 pound extra large shrimp (21-25), peeled and deveined
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro (about half of a bunch)
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Assemble marinade ingredients in a large ziplock storage bag, seal, and toss to mix. Add the shrimp and toss to coat. Marinate the shrimp for 30 minutes.
- If using bamboo skewers, soak them in water while the shrimp is marinating to prevent them from burning on the grill. When the shrimp are finished marinating, spear three shrimp per skewer. Discard remaining marinade.
- Grill shrimp on the outer edges of the grill heated to approximately 400°F for 2-3 minutes on the first side and 1-2 minutes on the second side. Serve on the skewer or remove shrimp from skewer and serve on a platter.
This next summer staple simple to prepare is grilled vegetables. Select whatever combination of veggies you find in the fridge. Carrots, potatoes, onions, tomatoes, and zucchini are especially good. Cut veggies into medium-sized chunks. Add whole garlic cloves. Place all in the center of heavy-duty aluminum foil. Sprinkle with olive oil, thyme, black pepper, and salt. Close the foil around the veggies and grill over medium heat until cooked to your liking.
Still have room for dessert? Of course! Margarita Moments’ top pick for this holiday weekend is barbequed pineapple topped with vanilla ice cream.
For my readers celebrating the holiday weekend, please enjoy responsibly and remember the brave people who gave their lives for America and freedom.
And now for blogiversary news…Last week’s Margarita Moments prize winner is Muffintop Mommy!!!! Thanks for participating and congratulations! Email me at email@example.com with your address. A beach towel and $15 Amazon card will soon be on their way.
This week’s prize is an insulated personal cooler tote bag (perfect for by the pool or at the beach) and a $20 Amazon card so you can purchase that summer read!
What are your favorite summer drinks and dishes?
**Commenters must provide a continental USA address if selected as prize winner. I apologize to my out-of-country readers. I love you too, and will have to figure out a cost-effective way to include you in future giveaways. Thanks for reading!